Tuesday 23 April 2013

A trip to the General Post Office in Hong Kong

Hi Mika,

today I went to the Post Office in Hong Kong. This is the General Post Office:

 This is where I had mailed the postcard that you have received.
I dropped the postcard in this box:
 So all the postcards you receive should be stamped the same way as the box in the picture, with a ship and the name Hong Kong!


But today I was not mailing a postcard but a much bigger parcel. I went to a very tiny store to buy packing paper, address labels, and packing tape. The store was much much smaller than Staples but it had everything I needed.  The store was only about as large as the kitchen in your house! It was very packed with stuff!

I think you can guess what is in the parcel. If you do not know what is in the parcel then you will find out in 10 days because I sent the parcel to you!

They have another drop box for parcels, but today there was a tour for a kindergarten at the Post Office. Does your kindergarten teachers take you on tours of things?
All the teachers and all the kids were standing right in front of the box where your parcel had to go. When the teacher saw me, she told the kids in Chinese to let me through. But then I said in English "Let the kids put my parcel in the box", which everyone was happy about.  The teacher put the parcel a little into the box.One of the kids looked at me and when I nodded, he pushed it all the way into the box  I think he liked doing that.  Then I said "Mh Goi" to the boy, which means "Thank you" in Chinese.  All the Chinese children thought it was very funny that I said that in Chinese!

Uncle Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment